This is a compensated review by BlogHer and Pop-Tarts®.Have you tried the new, Limited Edition Pumpkin Pie Pop-Tarts yet? If not you definitely need to do so....NOW! I have been a loyal fan of the Brown Sugar Pop Tarts for years, but the Pumpkin Pie Pop-Tarts are my new favorite. The pumpkin pie spice is not overpowering and it is just enough filling to make you feel like you are eating a thin slice of pumpkin pie. What a treat!
I decided that I would roll a caramel apple in the Pumpkin Pie Pop-Tarts crumbs to combine the the flavors of my two favorite pies. Apple and pumpkin. You can eat this right off the stick or cut the apple off the stick and cut into slices. I guess it's a more dignified way to eat this delicious treat. However you decide to eat this...I'm sure you will agree that it is the best of both pies!
Here is how you make it.
Pumpkin Pie Pop-Tarts Caramel Apples
Things you need:
6-8 apples (any kind, but I used tart Granny Smith's)
wooden dowels or craft sticks for each apple
2 packages pre-wrapped caramels or caramel ingredients (see recipe below)
12 Pumpkin Pie Pop-Tarts, coarsely chopped
fall ribbon to decorate apples
1. Place wax paper on cookie sheets. Next, butter the waxed paper to make sure that the caramel apple won't stick.
2. Make some caramel or you can use the pre-wrapped found in the candy section of your grocery store. Here is my caramel recipe:
1c. Karo syrup
1c. Brown sugar
1c. White sugar
1 stick of butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Put first 5 ingredients in a large sauce pan over medium heat and stir until melted and combined. Bring to a boil and stir for five minutes. Be careful to keep stirring so that it doesn't start to burn on the bottom of the pan. Take caramel off the burner after 5 minutes.
3. After you have made your caramel or melted your unwrapped caramels according to package directions, put wooden craft sticks or dowels into your apples.
4. Dip apples in caramel one at a time. Cover the whole apple letting the excess caramel drip back into the pan.
5. Place caramel covered apples on buttered wax paper on cookie sheet and place in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes to cool.
6. Take apples out of refrigerator and roll in chopped Pumpkin Pie Pop-Tarts. Press crumbs into caramel and replace on new piece of wax paper.
7. Replace in refrigerator to set up.
8. When ready to serve, decorate with fall ribbon around the stick. Enjoy!
What is your favorite flavor of Pop-Tarts? Answer this question and you will be entered to win a $100 Visa gift card from BlogHer!
For extra entries, you can:
· Tweet about this post with a link to it (and put your tweet URL in a separate comment below)
· Blog about this post with a link to it (and put your blog post URL in a separate comment below)Go to the BlogHer.com round-up page for more recipes and 9 more chances to win.
For official rules, please click here.