December 9, 2009
November 1, 2009
I must say that I was thrilled to be able to do this review of Pepperidge Farm® Petite Pirouette® and Petite Twists®. Pepperidge Farm cookies have been my personal favorite for many years now.
My mom and dad loved Pepperidge Farm® Mint Milano® cookies. I mean, hide them from the kids, loved them. Can you relate?
I'll never forget when I found my mom's secret stash of Milano cookies when I was a teenager. They were in a low cupboard, in a sauce pan with its lid on. INGENIOUS! What kid is ever going to go and look in the sauce pans? Well, I guess eventually I did, but I wonder how long she had been using that hiding spot. Moms are so smart! But those were her sweet indulgence in the day when she just needed a break.
Well, now I am a mom of three hungry kids who always want my treats. So, yes, I have resorted to a secret stash too. But sometimes you need something yummy, just for you.
What I love about the Pepperidge Farm Petite Pirouette and Petite Twists is that they look and taste like a guilty pleasure, but in reality, you don't have to feel guilty at all. Let me introduce you to these special treats.
Petite Pirouette is a delicate, crispy rolled wafer with creamy, chocolaty filling on the inside. Try either the chocolate hazelnut or chocolate crème flavor - or both! Three Petite Pirouette rolled wafers add up to 90 carefree calories!
Petite Twists puffed pastries have layers of delicate, crisp pastry swirled with sweet cinnamon or raspberry. A delightful treat with 90 calories in two treats!
Now, these petite treats are perfection by themselves, but they take one of my favorite indulgences to the next level. Ice cream! I made these sundaes in the spirit of the petite treats. They are high impact visually and on the taste buds, but very forgiving when it comes to your waistline. P.S - Sharing is optional.
Petite Pirouette Sundae
Doesn't that look good?
All I did was layer:
1/4 cup light vanilla ice cream
1 TBSP sugar-free hot fudge
thinly sliced banana
Repeat layers and top with light whipped cream and a Chocolate Crème or Chocolate Hazelnut Petite Pirouette.
When I took a bite of the Cinnamon Petite Twists, I tasted a flaky apple pie crust. Oh yum! So I decided to make an apple pie topping for reduced fat vanilla ice cream with this perfect, flaky, Cinnamon Petite Twist as the crust. Here is the recipe for the topping:
Apple Pie Ice Cream Topping
- 4 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large skillet, combine the apples, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons water, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-7 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve over ice cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup (calculated with 1/2 cup reduced-fat ice cream) equals 197 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 starch.
Add some light whipped cream and a Cinnamon Petite Twist and you have a "deconstructed" guilt free apple pie for the holidays.
So guess what? Pepperidge Farm wants to give one of you a $150 Spa Gift Card! Talk about a guilt-free indulgence! Thank you Pepperidge Farm and good luck everyone!
To enter, leave me a comment below and tell me how you would spend your day if you had it all to yourself. The contest will begin at 9:00 a.m. (PST) November 2, 2009 and will end 5:00 p.m. (PST) November 30, 2009. Make sure that the e-mail address you leave is correct.
- No duplicate comments.
- You may receive an additional entry by linking on twitter and leaving a link in the comments.
- You may receive an additional entry by blogging about this contest and leaving a link in the comments.
- This giveaway is open to US-residents, aged 18 and older
- Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail.
- You have 48 hours to get back to me, otherwise a new winner will be selected.
- Please see the official rules here.
Visit these Blogher Reviewers for six other chances to win a $150 Spa gift card.